Overview of importing bill payments
In QuickBooks Desktop a bill payment transaction is used to record a payment against a bill sent by a Vendor for the supply of services or items to the business. With Zed Axis
software you can import bills payments into QuickBooks directly from text or Excel files in batch.
Important factors to consider when import bill payments are:
- Bill payments you must specify the bill that is being paid.
- The payment can be less than, equal to or greater than the amount due, if an over payment a credit will be created by QuickBooks.
- To import a payment that pays multiple bills you need to have one row for each bill paid, and to group them together by using the same reference number.
- Be sure that the Total Amount equals the sum of the payment amounts or discount amounts.
Steps to import bill payments
Follow these steps:
- Select your text file or spreadsheet which contains the bill payments that you want to import.
- Set up the a Mapping of the columns in your bill payment import file to the corresponding fields in QuickBooks, as shown below.
- Click Import and your bill payments will be directly added to your QuickBooks company file.
For more information about importing bill payments into QuickBooks, search the Knowledge Base, watch the movies in the Learning Centre, or raise a ticket with Zed Support.
Sample Bill Payment Check import file
Sample Bill Payment Credit Charge import file
Where the fields appear on a bill payment
The following fields are the principal fields when importing bill payments into QuickBooks.
Detailed descriptions of the fields you can map
|Payee Entity||Str 209||MANDATORY - Payee who is on the customer, vendor, employee or other names list|
|AP Account||Str 159||Accounts payable account, if not mapped Axis uses the default AP account|
|Txn Date||Date||Date the bill was paid|
|Bank Account||Str 159||MANDATORY - Name of Account (Bank type for BillPaymentChecksor Credit type for CreditCardCharges) the funds are drawn from|
|Is To Be Printed||Bool||Whether the Check is to be be printed (true or false) (nb: cannot be mapped if RefNumber is mapped)|
|Ref Number||Str 11||Reference number for the Bill Payment (nb: cannot be mapped if IsToBePrinted is mapped)|
|Apply To Bill Ref||Str||MANDATORY - Reference number of the bill being paid, should already be in QuickBooks (Export field name ATRTxnRef)|
|Memo||Str 4095 ||Memo of for the payment|
|Exchange Rate||Float||Exchange rate against the QuickBooks Home currency|
|Applied To Txn ID||ID Type||GUID of the bill if known (Export field name ATRTxnID)|
|Payment Amount ||Amount||Amount being paid|
|Discount Amount ||Amount||Discount amount|
|Discount Account||Str 159||Chart of Account for the discount to be allocated to|
- Error: ApplyToBillRef does not exist in Bill - Check that the bill reference number exists in QuickBooks, if the ApplyToBillRef is blank then you will also get this error. Also check that the Payee name is correct and matches what is in QuickBooks
- Error: Object does not exist - If you have confirmed that the bill and Payee both are correct then check the Accounts Payable account that the bills is posted to as if this is not the default Accounts Payable account then you will need to map the AP Account field and make sure it matches what is on the bill that is being paid.
- Error: The transaction object "........" may only be provided once in this request. This is restriction of QuickBooks - in each Bill Payment transaction the Bill can only be paid once. In order to make two payments to the same bill ensure they are in separate Bill Payment transactions, ie they have a different Ref Number.