Phase One: MYOB card files into QuickBooks lists
To start you may need to make some changes in MYOB before you export the lists as there is there are differences in the rules surrounding MYOB and QuickBooks lists. Correcting these before you export your data from MYOB will save you a lot of time later in the process. These include:
QuickBooks will not allow duplicate names on any lists, but MYOB does, for example a supplier called Smith J and a customer called Smith J will not import into QuickBooks, the name must have some slight difference from the existing name, such as an initial or different capitalization, punctuation, or spacing. Use the search and replace to identify
Any MYOB lists which contain the following characters will not or may create errors when importing into QuickBooks
- Comma ( , )
- Apostrophe ( ‘ )
- Colons ( : )
- Names which are too long
List size restrictions
QuickBooks has a limit to the number of items in its lists, at the time of writing this note it was 14,000 for version up to Premier and 28,000 for Enterprise. Once you have tidy up these you can start exporting the MYOB card files.
Export your accounts list from MYOB
- Open MYOB select File > Export data > Accounts.
- You will need to make the following modifications for the new equivalent in QuickBooks
- Open the exported file in Microsoft Excel and update the Account Types to the QuickBooks Account Type equivalents as shown in the table below, using the search and replace feature.
- Change currency format to number format
Long Term Liability
Other Current Liability
Cost of Sales
Cost of Sales
Cost of Goods Sold
Possible to recognise Credit Card accounts and classify those
Import the Account list into QuickBooks
- Create a new company file in QuickBooks with no chart of accounts.
- Open QuickBooks Select File > Import > Excel files and map the following fields
For a full interpretation of Import Errors when importing Excel lists into QuickBooks: Intuit have a good support note here:
Bank Acct. No
Complete the above process for the following lists from MYOB into QuickBooks
- Transfer MYOB card file details to QuickBooks.
- Transfer tax codes and customer lists to QuickBooks
- Transfer supplier lists and employee lists to QuickBooks
- Create opening balances in QuickBooks
- Create opening inventory balances in QuickBooks
- Export accounts payable and account receivable transactions from MYOB into text files
- Import accounts payable transactions into QuickBooks
- Import accounts receivable transactions into QuickBooks
- Validate data transfer
- Setup and configure QuickBooks